Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra Auditions
2023-2024 Youth Orchestra Auditions
The Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra is accepting video auditions for the 2023-2024 season.
Students wishing to audition for ASYO as a new member for the 2023-2024 Season are asked to register and submit their audition video links by June 30, 2023. Please make sure your video is a good quality visual and audio recording. When planning your recording, it is very important for you to read and adhere to the “Audition Video Guidelines and Tips” found below. We are accepting auditions* for all instruments in the orchestra (audition requirements are also found below).
ASYO Youth Orchestra Auditions are held in joint consideration with the Music Opportunity Program’s Youth Orchestra Program.
Students will be considered for placement concurrently for the Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra and the Music Opportunity Program’s Youth Orchestra.
For more information on the Music Opportunity Program, please go here: Music Opportunity Program (musicopprogram.org)
*If you are required to play 2 major scales, you may choose the 2 scales to include in your recorded audition.
For questions, please email Maria Wilson, ASO Director of Education- email@example.com.
- 2 contrasting solo pieces or etudes*. One of your selections can be a standard orchestral excerpt for your instrument.
- 2 major scales of your choice. 2 octaves required (3 preferred); 3 octaves preferred. One of the scales must contain at least one flat in the key signature.
* To be considered for placement in ASYO, we recommend one of your pieces come from Suzuki Book 4 or equivalent.
- 2 contrasting solo pieces or etudes. One of your selections can be a standard orchestral excerpt for your instrument.
- 2 major scales in two octaves. 1 melodic minor scale in two octaves. Chromatic scale demonstrating your full range.
- 1 solo piece or etude each on snare and mallet instrument. One of your selections can be a standard orchestral excerpt for your instrument.
- 2 major scales in 2 octaves that demonstrate your full range on your instrument
- 2 contrasting solo pieces
If you have any questions regarding audition requirements or registration, please email Maria Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra
The official youth orchestra of the Alabama Symphony Orchestra is made up of 68 students ages 12-22 representing 8 Alabama counties and 23 schools. Members of the ASYO work regularly in sectionals with the ASO’s full-time professional musicians and perform on stage with them at the annual Side by Side concert.
Alabama Youth Symphony
Under the umbrella of the Music Opportunity Program, the Alabama Youth Symphony provides student instrumentalists with training and experience playing in a full symphony orchestra. Members of the AYS are encouraged to audition for the Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra when appropriate.