New in 2018-2019
- ASO unwined is a series designed to match the fast pace of modern life.
- Concerts are approximately an hour, and begin at 6pm.
- All concerts are at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center.
- Music Director Carlos Izcaray conducts all ASO unwined concerts.
- For each concert, the ASO has partnered with a fellow area nonprofit.
Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony
Thursday, September 13 at 6pm
Mendelssohn called the Italian Symphony “the jolliest piece I have ever done.” The piece acts as a musical postcard, documenting Mendelssohn’s travels through the rolling hills and bustling cities of Italy.
Philip Glass' Symphony No. 3
Thursday, November 1 at 6pm
Philip Glass’ Symphony No. 3 is an exploration of tension and relaxation. Listeners will find themselves lost in familiar patterns and rhythms, enjoying the soundscape that Glass creates. Martin Kennedy will be featured as the 2019 Sound Investment Composer.
Handel's Water Music
Thursday, January 3 at 6pm
The ASO performs Handel’s Water Music, a piece known for highly spirited movements that were played on boats for 18th century “River Parties” hosted by royalty.
Copland's Billy the Kid
Thursday, February 7 at 6pm
Adventure in the wild, wild west, as the ASO performs Copland’s Billy the Kid! Copland paints a picture of the pioneer West through the eyes of the infamous and appealing desperado.
Tickets are General Admission
- Pre-sale price: $25 (ends 2 weeks prior)
- Full price: $30
- ASO Junior Patrons and Subscribers: $5 discount
- One complimentary beverage included with each paid adult ticket
- Student & child: $8